Monday, June 27, 2011

Card Show Blues

I went to my first card show in a very long time over the weekend. What a disappointment. Four tables. Four whole tables. Everything was overpriced, especially Cardinal stuff. I expect the Cardinal stuff to carry a small premium but most of it was ridiculous. It seems that "dealers" have ignored the fact that we have this thing called the internet now. I can find just about anything I want in a few seconds and have it delivered to my door within days. Now, I know that these guys are banking on the "instant gratification" ideal. I do like to be able to handle a card before purchase and inspect it and that's what they are hoping for. I was at first very hesitant to do trades and purchases online but after over 500 transactions, only a handful have been an issue and they were minor.

I was at the show for less than an hour. I decided to head to my local card shop to talk to the owner and peruse his stacks of cardboard. The place was packed. I have never seen it that way. It seems that everyone that was disappointed with the show had wandered there for consolation.

I did pick up a few things at the show for my Cardinal collection. I couldn't leave empty handed. Behold...



Two 1975 Topps Cardinals. I now only need the team card to complete the team set. I may now pursue the minis and have a few already.


1978 Topps Ted Simmons. This man should be in the HOF. He compares very well with Fisk and Carter.



Two Keith Hernandez Kellogg's cards. I don't know why I like Kellogg's so much, but I am like a moth to a flame with them.

That was my haul. Yep, five whole cards that cost $2.50. At least admission was free.

No comments: